Principle and operation
Liquid-liquid extraction is used to transfer a solute (dissolved in a diluent and forming the solution) into a solvent with which it has more affinity; the diluent and the solvent are immiscible.
The light phase is introduced at the bottom of the column and then goes back to the upper decanter of the column. The heavy phase introduced at the top of the column goes down to the settling zone located at the bottom. A stirring assembly (consisting of a succession of turbines and settling trays distributed along the column) allows a mixture of the two phases circulating against the current and causes the transfer of the solute to be extracted in the solvent. Decanters are used for the separation of immiscible phases; the solute enriched extract phase and the solute depleted raffinate phase are continuously withdrawn from these settlers.
- Two cans of solution storage and polyethylene feed solvent.
- Dosing pump supplying the solution.
- Solvent feeding pump.
- Lower borosilicate glass settling tank with light phase introduction, heavy phase output and sampling valve.
- Upper decanter in borosilicate glass with introduction of the heavy phase, exit of the light phase by overflow.
- Column in borosilicate glass, in three elements.
- 316L stainless steel turbine stirring unit driven by an electric motor.
- Four guiding and sampling trays in 316L stainless steel.
- Recipe of phase extracted in borosilicate glass.
- Recipe for the borosilicate glass raffinate phase.
- 316L stainless steel connection pipes.
- Support frame in 304L stainless steel tubes and aluminum nuts.
- Control and control cabinet, IP55, equipped with emergency stop, operating buttons and the following interfaces :
- Variator of the stirring speed.
- Digital indicator of stirring speed.
- Digital temperature indicator of two Pt100 Ω probes.
- Industrial Supervisor with real-time process visualization, data acquisition and remote instrumentation control.
- Digital temperature indicator of two Pt100 Ω probes. communicating.
- Digital indicator of communicating stirring speed.
- Two control regulators for communicating feed pumps.
- Communicating interface level controller with pneumatic control valve.
- PC computer
Option: Touch screen to view the measured values and control the controllers. With data storage and USB data recovery in .txt files